Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Epilogue - Twas the Weekend Before Christmas


I wanted to write a short epilogue in regards to the poem I wrote and posted on Christmas Eve. (see here) Part of the poem reflected my lack of enthusiasm for the upcoming Christmas parties and events that the family had planned for the following days. I wrote this mostly in jest though those that know me know that I am not the most social of people and I’m not particularly fond of events that cause me to be surrounded by people I don’t know that well so there was some truth behind my jest. But the week did not end up working out the way it had been planned instead of having a schedule packed with events I ended up only attending one party and a small family gathering that happened at our place. Now if someone had told me on Christmas Eve that during my five days off I would only be going to that one party I would likely have been pretty happy about it but what actually ended up causing this to happen made my Christmas quite cheerless. I woke up Christmas morning with a high temperature, bad cough, stuffy nose and a terrible headache. For the next three days I basically lived in bed getting up only to use the bathroom and eat. On Saturday, the fourth day, I still wasn’t feeling that well but I got up and participated in the evening party. That was the first time I had left the house since Tuesday. Currently I’m still dealing with a cough and stuffy nose but the worst of it has passed, which is good since I am back at work now. It seems I had the flu. I’ve had colds here and there but I had not been this sick in years so it came as quite a surprise to me. So it seems that my “freedom” from the social events of the week came at the price of me being a prisoner to my bed. Pick your poison I guess.
So while it certainly wasn’t fun at the time it is hard not to look at back and laugh a bit. Maybe this is just what I get for writing a Christmas poem that poked fun at the upcoming Christmas affairs.  On the bright side I wrote the poem for laughs, which it hopefully got and now here's an addition that should be good for another laugh or two. So while I did not get to have much Christmas cheer for myself hopefully I was able to spread Christmas cheer to others this season.
Hope everyone had a good Christmas and now I say Happy New Year. Have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment