Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Poem - Twas the Weekend Before Christmas


(note: I wrote this piece playing off the Christmas poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas". So when you read this use the rhythm from that poem. If you don't know that poem take a look and/or listen)


Twas the weekend before Christmas, as I sat in the house
it was filled with people cooking and cleaning, I felt like a louse.
I learned of the plans for the coming week that had been devised with such care,
and I was already worn-out knowing that friends and family would soon be there.

Every day off so many people to hang with what a family I’ve wed,
I’ll struggle to sleep as I am haunted by visions of socializing in my head.
As fear crept in I looked over at Colby our cat,
only to be jealous of his peace as he took a long nap.

I tried to look at the bright side of things as I sat there,
that I wouldn’t be at work for five whole days so who cares.
Still it was hard to be positive knowing how days disappear so fast,
and time alone with Priya just never seems to last.

I gazed at Priya and of course she did know
I wasn’t very excited with my lackluster glow.
After the schedule was finished she came near,
making a small smile on my face come to appear.

With Priya nearby my poor mood wouldn’t stick,
her affect on me is like a real magic trick.
To have fun this week became my new aim,
though Priya knows I prefer to be alone with her all the same.

Come now aunt, uncle, cousin and brother
come friend, neighbor, father and mother.
To our house, then your flat and maybe the mall
we’ll eat, shop, talk, anything as long as we’re together above all.

We soon talked about all the gifts we did buy,
and if we’d have time to open them on Christmas with all the cooking and cleaning that did apply.
We took some time to decide but I think deep down we both knew,
we’d unwrap them that night quickly before our decision was opened to judicial review.

As the four of us gathered I was a little aloof
I wanted to be there but my head was hurting and that was no goof.
As the presents were opened much fun was found,
and thankfully the pain in my head died down.

We brought the presents in and got off our feet,
and soon we were opening them enjoying the treat.
Take this, it’s a present for Zach,
I opened and found a beautiful art piece no mere knick-knack.

I hand Priya a gift and she is not wary
as I watch her open it I know she was the perfect girl to marry.
It does not take her long to know,
a pajama set from Victoria Secret was behind the bow.

After that to her a rug I did bequeath,
on windy winter nights to keep warm underneath.
Joan and Kan provide us simple beauty,
multiple gift cards to go see some movies.

It was Kan’s turn as he received nice sweaters for himself
mostly because he deserved them but also to keep him from taking the ones off my shelf!
An iron skillet, oven glove and baking sheet were Joan’s spread,
now she can cook us her cookies, treats and breads.

As we looked at our gifts I couldn’t help but smirk,
I was so glad Priya liked them after all my shopping work.
It was as good a night as one could compose,
as for the busy week before us nobody knows.

So now our break is coming at us like a missile,
and I admit part of me still wants a dismissal.
But don’t worry I’ll be good and keep my spirits light,
let me say thank you for reading and "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

1 comment:

  1. Zach, through some internet magic, this popped up on my screen this morning. Wonder of wonders! This has now become my favorite Christmas poem. I relate deeply to your Christmas journey. Made me laugh & smile & feel better about that part of me that always wants a "dismissal" from holiday gatherings. Give me a quiet nook with my own person. I wish for you time alone this Christmas with your beautiful, amazing Priya.

    ReplyDelete