Sunday, August 4, 2013

Burrito Quest - Burrito Café

Last week I decided it had been far too long since my last burrito (over three weeks) so I went ahead and picked out my next burrito place to try out. I ended up picking a place called Burrito Café. It has two locations in London. The one I went to is right next to Charring Cross Station, which is near Priya’s office. I actually found out about it just by walking past it one day on my way to meet Priya. That was probably over two months ago and I have been wanting to try it ever since.

The store itself is pretty small. You might be able to squeeze 15 to 20 people in there if people were willing to share tables with strangers and bump elbows. As I often do I decided to go around the time it opened, which was 11:30 am for this location. While this time might be a bit early for many people to have lunch I do this so I can be one of the first customers of the day, which allows me to avoid crowds and get fresh ingredients. As I often do I got to the place early, around 11:15 so I just wandered around outside until they opened and I was the first one in the door. Now before I go on let’s recap how I judge the burritos. I do it based on eight categories. First is the quantity of available options on the menu. Second is the quality of the individual ingredients. Third is the ratio of those ingredients in the burrito basically how much of each ingredient is there. Forth is the strength and execution of the wrap, does the tortilla tear easily or fall apart in my hand? Fifth is the size of the burrito bigger is usually better. Sixth is the overall taste of the burrito. Seventh is the price of the burrito. I’m willing to pay for quality. Eighth and lastly is what I call the two hour tummy factor. Meaning how does the burrito makes me feel a few hours later because it can be great in your mouth but not so great in your digestive system especially if you are walking home, which I almost always am. Now the other variable that is much harder to take into account is that of the individual server who is helping you. Often when a burrito is made it is difficult to know if the ratios of each ingredient given to you are those that the restaurant wants or just those that the server feels like giving. Similarly when it comes to the strength of the wrap it often comes down to the skill and experience of the person wrapping the burrito rather than just the quality of the tortilla. Due to this is can be hard to properly judge a place without going there a few times unless the food is just horrible than what’s the point, right? So I try to be fair to all the places I go especially the first time and focus more on the food rather than the service.

First, the amount of available options on the menu. In this respect the Burrito Café did pretty well. Beyond just burritos, tacos and salads they also had nachos and quesadillas on their menu both of which looked pretty good. They had chicken, pulled pork, barbacoa beef and grilled vegetables as their main ingredients. For fillings they had three salsas, beans, rice, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Along with that the burritos could be ordered in two different sizes, a small or a large. This was the first place I had been to with size options for a burrito. So I ordered a large chicken burrito with black beans, mild and medium salsa, cheese and lettuce. Now one of the first problems I had was that there was no rice available when I was ordering my burrito. At the time I didn't even know if they served rice with their burritos it was only later as I was leaving that I saw they had put rice out to serve with their food. Due to this my burrito was not quite what I wanted. Beyond the food they also had self-serve, refillable sodas. When I first saw this I was quite excited but that excitement disappeared quickly when I saw that the soda was Pepsi and worse that there was no ice served with the drinks. I mean Pepsi is bad enough but make it warm and then it is just not palatable. I bought the drink before I saw these flaws so I spent the meal drinking warm 7up, which I don’t particularly like but it is better than warm Diet Pepsi.

Second is the quality of the individual ingredients. When it came to the individual ingredients I would say that overall I was not very impressed. The best ingredients were the tortilla itself, the cheese and the lettuce. I don’t often mention lettuce because I don’t often get it but here I did and it was very fresh and gave great texture to the burrito. The chicken was fine but nothing special. The mild salsa was not very good and the medium was similar to the chicken okay but not great. I would say the beans were good but not as good as the cheese and lettuce but still better than the chicken and salsas.

Third is the ratio of the ingredients in the burrito. Here the restaurant did not do well. The first problem, as I mentioned earlier, was that I didn't get any rice so this led to an odd amount of the other ingredients. The burrito was dominated by lettuce, cheese and chicken. There were not enough beans and so little salsa that it barely was noticeable except for a few bites in the middle of the burrito. The first four bites was almost all chicken and by the time I got to the other end of the burrito it was almost all beans and those were really the only bites with beans in them. There were really only four or five bites right in the middle where I could even tell there was salsa in the burrito and even then it was hard to notice. There was more mild salsa than medium, which was not very good because the mild salsa was not as good as the medium salsa. What was odd was the main way I knew I had any medium salsa in the burrito was when I noticed the temperature, the heat, in my mouth rather than by actually being able to taste it. But the few times I could taste it, it was far superior to the mild salsa.

Fourth is the strength of the wrap. This was probably one of the burritos greatest strengths. While I certainly wouldn't call it the best wrapped burrito I've ever had, or even had in London, it was one of the better aspects of this burrito. The tortilla was well steamed and the burrito was neatly and tightly wrapped. About half way through a small hole opened up at the bottom leading to bean juice dripping out but overall that was not that big of a deal. That likely wouldn't have happened if all the beans had not been shoved to that one end. 

Fifth is the size of the burrito. The Burrito Café offered two sizes for their burritos. I, of course, ordered the larger one. The size ended up being about average, certainly nothing I would call huge. Now I’m sure it would have been a little heftier if I had gotten some rice in it but still it wouldn't have been the much bigger. I have no complaints about the size. You get a fair amount for what you pay.

Sixth is the overall taste of the burrito. Based on what I've written to this point it will likely not be a surprise that I would say the overall taste of the burrito was not that good. It was a lot of chicken and lettuce. There were random bites here and there mixed with some cheese and salsa but far too few to make it a good burrito.

Seventh is price. The price of the burrito was average. It was 6.50 pounds for a chicken burrito and 1.50 for a refillable soda cup. The prices vary based on their size and the main ingredient one picks. They also have meal deals, which include a drink and tortilla chips with your meal.  Again I would say the soda was not good both because it was Pepsi and even more because it was warm. Now one thing the Burrito Café did that I wish more places did was they gave me a frequent visitor card. So every tenth burrito is free. Now I’m pretty sure I won’t be going to this place ten times but I still liked that they provided this to their customers.

Eighth and lastly is what I call the two hour tummy factor. After I had this burrito I spent a majority of the day walking around downtown including at the Tate Museum of Modern Art. It did not take long for me to develop a side ache as I walked around. Now to be fair I believe this was due more to the 7up I had than to the burrito itself. I usually only drink diet sodas but the 7up was regular and thus packed with sugar. I believe this along with walking away too quickly after eating led to my discomfort for the next few hours. The side pain did eventually go away and there was never any real stomach pain so I won’t call the burrito bad for the stomach.  

So overall based on this visit I would say The Burrito Café provided me with one of the worst burritos I've had here in London. I would give it a 4 out of 10. It is certainly a place I would go to if I were stuck with no other burrito available to me, like in China, but luckily that is not the case here in London. Look at some of my other reviews for better places to go.


Here are some pictures. 
























Other Burrito Blogs
Previous: Poncho 8




No comments:

Post a Comment