Monday, October 21, 2013

Off To Denver


Another journey over the sea begins tomorrow. (22-10-2013) Priya and I are flying to Denver to attend my sister’s wedding. We are both pretty excited though I think Priya might be a bit more excited than me. Don’t get me wrong I’m eager to go because I always love going home but I think Priya needs a holiday more than I do. I admit part of me is actually nervous about going on this trip right now. I say that because I began working only two weeks ago and while the place I have been working has been very understanding about this trip, since it was planned before I began working here, I still worry a little that leaving right now might weaken my desirability to them when they are considering whether to keep me on or not. Alright enough of my worries and back to the fun part, the trip.

Priya and I will be in Denver for about 10 days, which sounds like a lot but when I look at the schedule it is really packed full and there won’t be much free time. Priya and I don’t show up until 10 pm Tuesday night so the trip really begins the next day and what a day that will be. We will be getting up quite early that morning and taking a day trip to Mount Rushmore with my parents. I use the term “day trip” loosely because it actually takes 6 or 7 hours to get there, which of course means it takes 6 or 7 hours to get back. That’s 12 to 14 hours in a car the day after spending almost 12 hours on a plane and 9 hours in various airports. That should make for an interesting trip. Now the length of the drive also doesn't leave tons of time for looking around if one is truly trying to get home in the same day. Hopefully we’ll get there around 1 or 2 pm and have the afternoon to look around before heading back, which would get us home sometime around midnight. I really wasn't expecting this to be part of our trip but Priya really wants to see Mount Rushmore and hey there really is no reason not to go for it. I do have a feeling that Priya may sleep a good portion of the way there given our travel just the day before and that of course already makes me a little jealous of her. I don’t tend to sleep well in cars but who knows I may doze off for a bit.

The next day, Thursday, is the rehearsal dinner for the wedding. It is at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I love that choice of location by the way. Of course, that event will not occupy the entire day so that may be a day Priya and I use to do a little shopping. In particular we want to go to Target. That is probably the store I miss the most over here in London. They just don’t have anything quite like it here. Priya loves Target too, which makes it even more than fun to go to. We will be shopping for numerous things that you either can’t get here in the UK or that are cheaper in the US. One of the great things about this trip for me is it will be the first time that the money I am taking to the States ends up turning into more than it was where I got it. When I went from Korea and China back home the value of my money dropped considerably but going from the UK to the USA my money will increase in value. When you look at the prices of the things here in London verses the things in the US you’ll find that the numbers are usually the same meaning that a $15 DVD in the US is likely to be a £15 DVD in the UK but since the pound is stronger than the dollar what that really means for us coming from London is that the DVD in America is only £7 or £8 pounds making it much cheaper than it is here.

On Friday a bunch of the rest of the family (mine and Rich’s) shows up so we will be at the airport and hotel hanging out most of the day. Then that night my mom got tickets for the Avalanche game so I will be taking Priya to her first NHL game, which of course I’m very excited about. It’s even more exciting with the Avs playing so well this season.

Saturday is the day of the wedding. That morning we will be at the airport again, oh joy, with the last few family members coming in and then hanging out at the hotel once again until it is time to go to the wedding. The wedding takes place at the same location the rehearsal dinner did, the Museum of Nature and Science. We have to arrive by 3 pm for photos. Then sometime around 6 pm is when the actual ceremony will take place and the vows will be exchanged. Around 7 pm the cake will be cut and toasts will be given, which makes me realize I have no idea if I am supposed to give a toast or not and if I am I have no idea what I should or will I say. Whoops. Then dancing will fill the rest of the night. I want to think I will let go, be free and just dance with no cares but most of me thinks that will not be the case and I’ll just stay stuck to a wall somewhere. But who knows maybe Priya will inspire me to dance since she inspires me in so many other ways.

Sunday morning we are going to hang out with the family before most of them leave that afternoon. Then Beth and Rich may go up to the mountains with Rich’s nephews. The afternoon may be free but that night Priya and I are going to go to the Wright’s house (my second parents) to hang out and actually spend the night. I’m really looking forward to that time. I don’t know if I’ll get to see Mike at that point I have a feeling I won’t, which means I probably won’t see at all and that makes me sad.

Monday Beth and Rich head off on their Honeymoon up in the mountains, though I’m not sure exactly where? But I really should find out where they are going because the truth is Priya and I are going with them. We are going to go to the same hotel and spend a night or two there. I mean come on who doesn't want their little brother to tag along on their honeymoon? Isn't that what’s it’s for, to grow closer to your siblings? I admit it is kind of weird but we don’t have a lot of time there and Beth and Rich actually did invite us to do this as opposed to me interjecting myself into their trip. So we’re going to do it. That means the next day or two (Tuesday and maybe Wednesday) will be spent up in the mountains. I’m hoping it isn't too cold though I have a feeling it will be.

Then Wednesday we will go shopping. We will go either in the morning if we get back from the mountains on Tuesday or in the afternoon if we come back that morning. This time we will be trying to hit up the outlet malls and grab some cheap clothes and whatever else. Priya really like to buy people gifts so I have a feeling we will be looking for things for her father, Joan (mother-in-law), co-workers, friends and anyone else she can think off. The goal will be to get them something they can’t get in London. What that will be I don’t know? I do know her father loves cowboys and cowboy movies so being in Denver that makes for a good chance of finding something he’d like. As far as everyone else goes I have no idea what we’ll be bringing home. I just hope there is enough room for me to bring some of my stuff back too.

Finally Thursday Priya and I leave to go back to London. Thursday is Halloween which creates a very specific goal for me to try and accomplish before we go but I don’t know if we’ll have time. In the past Chipotle has provided free burritos to anyone willing to dress up like a burrito on Halloween. I have done this before and would love to do it again. The only problem is that Priya and I’s flight leaves at 13:45 meaning we’d have to be at the airport around 11 am. Getting through customs requires leaving a bit more time than just a normal flight across the country. Anyway most Chipotles open at 11 am so I wouldn't have time to grab one. And even if I did I’m not sure it would be wise to scarf down a burrito right before getting on a plane to fly back to London. Though whose kidding if there’s time I will definitely do it.

So that’s our trip laid out nice and neat though I suspect many of those things may change and if they do great it will provide me more to write about when we get back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment